Domain of One’s Own: A University Faculty-Centered Initiative
A groundbreaking UMW digital initiative sponsored by the Center for Teaching Excellence and Innovation and the Division of Teaching and Learning Technologies. This initiative builds upon UMW’s Domain of One’s Own project which was piloted in 2012-2013 and was funded as a new initiative in Fall 2014.
In an increasingly digital and social networked world many faculty can miss professional opportunities by limiting their participation in traditional professional pathways. Often times faculty have elements of their professional work and identify in singular, often disconnected spaces (binders, folders, conference presentations, publications, etc.) that can often limit the richness and depth of one’s work. This initiative is designed to support faculty in moving to an online identity by owning their own domain.
Digital pedagogy and scholarship takes a broader view of teaching, research and service than traditional means. A digital domain integrates the values of a faculty member with those of the discipline, department, institution though digital elements and reflective narrative explicitly addressing the integration of values beyond the local environment. Faculty involved in this initiative will be contributing to the evolving nature of digital pedagogy through scholarship.
This initiative is designed explicitly to provide resources and support for all UMW faculty to develop their own domain through an Open Call application. To incentivize this process, DTLT and CTE & I have partnered to provide faculty with their own domain, web hosting, and a stipend (not to mention bi-weekly support) to develop/refine a professional online presence ranging anywhere from an online CV/E-portfolio to a developmental space to explore digital pedagogy and scholarship, to an alternative class space online. We are accepting all levels of technology proficiency. What’s more, we also encourage those who already have sites to apply in order to continue to develop out their online presence. Faculty agree to engage in two workshops (each month) beginning mid-January and ending mid-March.
Domain of One’s Own: A University Faculty Initiative includes:
- Successful completion of application (located on Call for Participation) by December 21, 2014 (11:55 pm). Click here for application.
- Attending all six cohort weekly, one-hour workshops beginning the week of February 2nd, 2015 and ending the week of March 23rd, 2015.
- Participation in workshop conversations and completing assigned readings.
- Developing a narrative that explores digital scholarship and the initiative goals.
- Participating in virtual conversations about digital scholarship and the faculty initiative along with commenting on others’ virtual contributions.